Monday, November 14, 2011

Rangers Offseason

I'm obsessed. There, I said it. I can't help it, I can't stop thinking about the baseball offseason. The offseason is the most optimistic time for most baseball fans because, simply, there is no baseball being played. There is no data to work with, we are left to think as hopefully as we like and our optimism if left unchecked. Every team's top prospect is rated by Baseball America, every team thinks this is the year that their Chris Davis breaks through. Ultimately, around late May, reality strikes...the Yankees are going to be good, the Mariners aren't. But, in this magical window of the offseason, everything could work.

How do I quantify my obsession...Do I hit refresh on mlbtraderumors.com every 30 minutes? Yes. On a pie chart of my thoughts, would the time I spent thinking about Mark Buehrle vs CJ Wilson look like Pac Man? Yes. Am I asking myself questions that I know the answer to? Possibly. The problem I face as a Rangers fan this offseason is that my optimism is confused. What do the Rangers do? How do we improve a team that was ONE PITCH away? Are massive overhauls needed? What will be done about the massive contract issues looming? We'll see what the organization thinks as the winter unfolds. The implications of this offseason could shape the franchise for the next era of Ranger baseball. It should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment