Friday, January 6, 2012

It's Real: Why you should listen be listening to Real Estate

It hit me the other day. I wish I was on the beach. Not the primal beaches of the Jersey Shore or some mythical spring break, but the real beach. The one where there is a breeze blowing off the water and its not quite warm enough to jump in. The one where a steady flow of cars pass by on the way to work yet no one pulls over to drag their toes in the sand. The one from my childhood, strewn with litter, dead fish, and leaves, yet still magically appealing. That beach. When I listened to the new Real Estate record, I was there. The flowing guitar lines, the openings, the spaces, it was all new and yet all familiar at the same time. From the opening track "easy", where lead singer Martin Courtney recalls floating on an inner tube in the sun, to everyone's end of the year favorite, "its real" where Courtney reminisces about carving a lovers name on a tree and walking on "decomposing leaves" I was transported back to the days spent on the sand staring into the sediment filled waters of the Gulf of Mexico straining my eyes to pick up the next ship coming over the horizon. Listen, close your eyes and listen, and if you really try, you may end up there too.

No comments:

Post a Comment