Sunday, January 8, 2012

Dogfish Head's Raison D'Etre


I've read some other people's reviews of this beer, and it's been complimented to the tune of "like no other beer" or "sour but yet sweet to make you think you are chewing raisins" and "take to a dinner instead of wine".  Well well.

I get it, a craft beer that is intended to be enjoyed with a steak.  A compilation of a light burnt sugar and raisins with a Belgian-style yeast that resembles a dry, sweet flavour.  "Let's make a beer that tastes like wine" ...they must have said.  I'll take the wine please.  Raison D'Etre for me was a borderline fail. I suppose it may succeed in that you ONLY drink it as a substitution for a Bordeaux or the like with a meal, but it is not worth going to the store to buy a six-pack on a Friday evening like I did.

I shall still drink it all anyway!  But the sweet flavour that comes with it clashes with almost what I feel like is a metallic aftertaste that makes it hard to finish the beer...whether it is in a glass or the bottle itself.  I'm not so sure it is a good idea to make a beer taste like another genre of alcohol.  Well, maybe it isn't a bad idea, but this experiment...though 13 years running now, screams of "Try again".  Or at least from my perspective, "No thank you, wine is much better."


1 comment:

  1. I think it is a mistake to compare wine and beer in such a way. Both can be paired with dinner to great effect and it is simply a matter of opinion, price and circumstance as to what one should drink. It just seems completely un-helpful and insulting to both wine and beverage to describe a wine in such a way. With that said, there are some beer that do carry a flavor profile so close to sherry it may even fool some people, such as the Baladin Xyauyu.

    ReplyDelete