Thursday, January 26, 2012

Westmalle's Tripel


It was sweetness. It was in my opinion, the best tripel/strong pale ale I have ever had. You can tell from the taste that the malt is light, and the sugar is not of your grocer variety. I also won't hesitate to mention the greatness of the idea to top off the bottle with a bit of yeast and MORE sugar...it does not go unnoticed. I'm going to keep this in mind with my own brewing endeavors.

Unlike many of your other Trappist beers that tend to be a rich, less-is-more treat, Westmalle's Tripel was so clean and savoury that I found myself realizing that I could enjoy several. No spiky aftertaste follows your drink and the smell is slightly citrus-like. I want one now. I want a few now. Too bad I couldn't afford to keep up with the $9 a bottle at the bar I went to. The fact that I was seeking more still surprises me, it's not every day you find a Trappist that is so strong and delicious at 9.5%, and you find yourself unquenched with one. Go Catholic Monks go.


No comments:

Post a Comment